Tuesday, December 01, 2009

 

Private sector, what private sector ...?!

"I rarely hear [President B. Hussein Obama] talk about the private sector."

-- Vice President Dick Cheney

When I was in grad school, U.S. Rep. Bart Gordon did a speech-and-question-and-answer thing in one of my classes. During the "speech" portion of his appearance, ol' Bart kept talking about how "small business" was so important to the economy. One of my classmates asked ol' Bart something like this: "Since you've never had a real job, and have never had to meet a payroll, what do you know about small businesses?!"

Gordon said that his very short stint practicing law proved that he'd once had a real job (I'll bite my lawyer-joke tongue at this point); and then he said -- and his remark was so fucking stupid I remember it word-for-word to this day -- "I meet the American payroll every day."

I couldn't help but think about Bart Gordon's dumbass statement when I read this story:

[A] new study shows Obama has fewer advisors who’ve made a living in the private sector than any other American President in the last 108 years — since the turn of the 20th century when the business of America became business.

This is not to say that the Chief Executive should have private sector experience. And this is not to say that the Chief Executive should employ only people from the private sector. But it is to say that we should not trust a Chief Executive to know how to fix the private sector or "create competition" in health care when there is hardly a person near him who knows anything about job creation.


You know, I can just hear ol' B. Hussein telling Chris Matthews or George Snuffleupagus, er, Stephanopoulos that he meets "the American payroll every day." And that scares the you-know-what outta me ...

Indeed.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?