Tuesday, December 12, 2006

 

Jeanne Kirkpatrick, RIP

I didn't get a chance to comment on former UN Ambassador Jeanne Kirkpatrick's passing last week. Truly the American people owe a debt of gratitude to Dr. Kirkpatrick, who capably assisted the Reagan Administration as it fought to consign the Soviet Union to the ash heap of history.

I had the opportunity to meet Jeanne Kirkpatrick in 1994 when she spoke at Middle Tennessee State University. She was on hand to discuss how women can become more active in politics and global affairs. Her speech was full of self-empowerment themes, and she discussed UK Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's career at length. When she finished, she took but one question from the audience. A sandals-and-granola type stood and started ranting about "male oppression" or some such silliness. When she finished (hell, I don't think she even asked a question), Kirkpatrick spent a good ten minutes picking apart the questioner's feeble arguments point by point. The audience erupted in applause and Kirkpatrick thanked MTSU for the invitation. I was awed at her intellect and her humility.

Since I was affiliated with the Tennessee College Republicans, I had an invitation to stick around for an after-speech reception. My colleagues and I chatted with Dr. Kirkpatrick for a few moments and stepped aside when an elderly couple approached. The elderly couple in question, who before passing gave a lot of money to MTSU, simply wanted to shake Dr. Kirkpatrick's hand and thank her for coming. As they turned to leave, the Mrs. said this (I will never forget it if I live to be 100): "We're just so happy that you could come to Murfreesboro, Mrs. Nixon." Dr. Kirkpatrick smiled graciously and said she was more than happy to be there. She will be missed.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?