Tuesday, July 24, 2007

 

Hitting close to home (absolutely no pun intended)

During my high school baseball career, I was sitting in the dugout when a teammate was struck in the head by a line-drive. He was standing on third base when he found himself in the direct path of a "laser-shot."

I can still remember the "crack" sound when my teammate was struck in the head; and I remember the baseball climbing some 75 feet in the air as it drifted over and out of the ball yard. Thank GOD he was wearing a helmet ... and thank GOD he was dazed but not hurt.

Upon hearing about this tragic story, I got sick to my stomach ... literally:

"Mike Coolbaugh became a coach with the Tulsa Drillers earlier this month not so much for the job itself, but because his little boys loved to see him on the baseball field.

"'He had just started,' said Coolbaugh's wife, Amanda, who is expecting their third child in October. 'We were going to be done with it, but his kids wanted to see him.'

"Coolbaugh, 35, died Sunday after being struck in the head by a line drive as he stood in the first-base coach's box during a game in Arkansas."

UPDATE:

Another tragic story:

"A 12-year-old softball player was knocked unconscious when a ball hit her in the head during practice, and she died a day later, police and family said."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?