Tuesday, September 18, 2007

 

Take THAT, Sally Field!

In case you haven't heard, Sally Field made as ass of herself at the 59th Primetime Emmy® Awards. Rising to accept an award for Outstanding Lead Actress In A Drama Series, Field said, and I quote:

"At the heart of [her character] Nora Walker, she is a mother," Field said. "May they be seen, may their work be valued and raised, and to especially the mothers who stand with an open heart and wait – wait for their children to come home for from danger, from harm’s way and from war. I’m not finished. I have to finish talking ... if the mothers ruled the world there would be no goddamn wars in the first place."

John Hawkins tells us that women are just as adept at war-making as men:

"Would the world really be a more peaceful place if women were in charge?

"Well, you know, it's not as if there has never been a woman in charge of a country before.

"For example, prominent women leaders include Margaret Thatcher in Britain (Falklands War), Golda Meir in Israel (The War of Attrition with Egypt), Queen Elizabeth the first (War with Spain), you can go on and on like this...

"The reality is that if you can't handle going to war, then you're not qualified to lead a nation. So, women leaders -- the ones that are worth a bucket of spit anyway -- will go to war if need be, because that's what the job requires.

"So, a world run by women? I doubt if it would be one bit less peaceful and quite frankly, it might be much more violent given that women tend to be much more emotionally volatile than men."

Rachel Lucas puts to rest Sally Field's claim that females are paragons of docility:

"Jesus H. Christ.

"I remember the first time I encountered this sort of opinion - that if women were in charge, humanity would live in peace. I was 11 or 12 years old and read it in a book, and I swear to god, I actually laughed out loud. I remember thinking, this fool has obviously never met any females.

"It starts in about 4th grade, when girls start engaging in what can only be called a war of attrition via emotional abuse. They form evil little cliques and set about utterly destroying each other’s self-esteem and pride. I got glasses when I was 11, and the first dozen people to call me 'four-eyes' were girls. When I didn’t start growing boobies as early as some of the others, it was the girls who snickered at me on the playground and called me President of the Itty-Bitty Titty Committee. There was a fat girl in my neighborhood back then, and guess who shunned her and called her “pig” and 'lardbutt' on the bus? Not the boys. (Granted, they just ignored her. But which is really worse?)

"Then you move on to the nightmare-scape called junior high school, where the females carefully hone their craft and the sabotage is raised to a whole new level of hate. During my soul-ripping years there, I had one boy who 'bullied' me but there about five girls who did, and they were ten times meaner about it. Sneaky and manipulative. At least when boys pick on you, it’s all out in the open. Girls? Oh god no. They use subterfuge and reconnaissance. Girls will pretend to be your best friend just to discover your weaknesses, which they’ll then employ to bring you down.

"Like the bitches in my 7th grade homeroom class. For reasons known only to Satan, a group of them decided they hated a girl named Cassie, who lived near me and was actually a really sweet kid. These girls befriended her for a while, let her into their 'friend'ship ring of evil, and then suddenly one day when she walked in, they completely ignored her. I remember her crying later at lunchtime, and I heard that she’d told them that her stepdad drank beer in the evenings and now those little snots were telling the whole school he was an alcoholic. That rumor never died.

"But that’s nothing. Wait until high school, when the competition for boys gets serious and the rumor-mongering takes on apocalyptic proportions. This is when the girls start calling each other sluts just because they like the same guys. There was a cheerleader at my high school who got pregnant in 11th grade and she went from being the one all of us envied to the one we all called dirty, dirty names. The boys never really said anything but the girls, oh sweet Jesus, we were brutal. On the bathroom wall, someone wrote in lipstick, 'Tiffany is the WHOREleader! Keep your legs closed SLUT.'

"Sugar and spice, my ass."

Read the rest here. It's good!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?