Wednesday, October 24, 2007

 

"[T]he King Daddy of dumbass letters ..."

There've been a lot of dumbass letters published in the Tennessean over the years. However, Ms. Carolyn Dobbins' letter to the editor in this morning's paper just might be the King Daddy of dumbass letters.

According to Ms. Dobbins, parental involvement vis-a-vis education is highly overrated. To wit:

"I have witnessed the wonders [of excellence in public schools(!)], and they are not connected to parental involvement or diversity.
"The wonder of it all occurs when the brilliance of gifted teaching bumps up against obstacles of all kinds and wins. Victory comes when opposing forces find themselves irresistibly drawn to the other side because the general in charge skillfully offers that intangible something I choose to call the "want-to."

"When students possess the desire to learn, a passion for loving to learn, nothing can stop them. Their attitude becomes one of "bring it on." They then go forth and quite naturally pass it on.

"What's missing from our nation's classrooms are strong armies of well-equipped teachers who can lead reluctant soldiers to battle against all that would keep them small and weak. Identify these gifted, well-equipped teachers. Support them. Listen to them.

"Learn from them. Let them lead."

To borrow a line from my colleague Mr. Jimmy, Whiskey Tango Foxtrot?!

If I were a betting man, I'd be willing to bet that Ms. Dobbins is a teacher. No, let me rephrase that: Ms. Dobbins is a teacher who's so steeped in National Education Association propaganda that she can no longer think clearly. (God help the poor students who find themselves in a classroom with this teacher who longer controls her most important faculties.)

Only a true idiot would suggest that a parent has but a minor role to play in his or her child's education. Indeed, parents are THE MOST important factor in determining whether children learn, mature, and, as my grandfather might say, act like they have some *@#%$! sense.

When I was in college, I thought I might like to become a teacher. Thus, I took just enough - three, I think - classes to know that I did not want to teach high school for a living. At some point during my education education, if you will, I was tasked to interview a teacher and ask him/her this question: What is the most challenging aspect of teaching?

I fully expected the teacher whom I interviewed - a lady who'd been teaching high school Spanish for almost 10 years when we spoke - to tell me that she was most challenged by paperwork, poor facilities, substandard texts, long hours, no money, no respect, etc., etc., etc. I fully expected wrong 'cause, well, here's how our conversation began (I still have my notes):

Q: What do you think is the most challenging aspect of teaching?
A: Lack of parental involvement.

Ms. Teacher went on to tell me about parent-teacher meetings at which she'd have 8 or 10 parents show up - when she had 60+ students in her classes - and none of the parents had kids who were failing or struggling. She also told me about placing a call to a failing student's home, only to have a parent tell her to "never" call him at home again.

While it is possible for gifted, well-equipped teachers to reach students whose parents don't want to be bothered on the phone, the students who're reached are the exceptions rather than the rule. As any honest teacher will tell you, it's well nigh impossible to teach and/or inspire a student whose parents don't give a crap. I mean, very rare is the kid who can make something of himself when his whims and impulses aren't tempered by a caring, loving parent.

Most teachers know that. It's a shame that Carolyn Dobbins does not.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?