Monday, December 10, 2007

 

Obama, Oprah, and, oh, the idiots who love 'em

Unless you've been hiding under a rock, you know that Oprah Winfrey was in Iowa, New Hampshire, and South Carolina over the weekend campaigning alongside Sen. B. Hussein Obama. Hillary Clinton's campaign trotted out Bill, Chelsea, and former Atlanta mayor Andrew Young in response, but, pound for pound (no pun intended), tain't nobody in the Clinton camp who can match Oprah's star power.

I know I've said it in comments on other blogs, but I don't think I've ever said it here: I can't stand Oprah Winfrey, and I have absolutely no use for people who watch her show. "What's so bad 'bout Oprah?" you may be asking. Well, I'll tell you ...

A lot of folks have implied that Oprah is someone who transcends partisan politics. Horse puckey. On more than one occasion, Ms. Winfrey allowed Michael Moore to propagandize on her show with nary a "Perhaps, but" or "Others suggest" in sight. Oprah simply smiled and nodded and encouraged Moore as he trotted out his patented brand of left-wing nitwittery.

Futhermore, during the 2004 election, Oprah held a "voting party" on her show featuring noted political scientists Sean "P. Diddy" Combs, Drew Barrymore, Christina Aguilera, and Cameron Diaz. During said show, Ms. Diaz uncorked this bit o' wisdom:

"[W]omen have so much to lose. I mean, we could lose the right to our bodies. We could lose -- if you think that rape should be legal, then don't vote."

Did Oprah say, "Cameron, do you really think rape is going to be made legal?" or "That's the most ridiculous thing I've every heard!"? Nope. She said, and I quote, "It's your voice!"

So much for Ms. Winfrey, what's my beef with her viewers -- or, as I like to call 'em, the Cult of Oprah? Let's see ...

I don't think the average Oprah viewer has the ability to think for herself. (Let's be honest ... 90 percent of Oprah's fans are women.) Think I'm being too harsh? Consider this: Oprah can take 300+ pages of unreadable drek (see The Corrections, A Million Little Pieces, etc.), endorse it in her "Book Club," and immediately create a national bestseller.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: If Oprah announced on her show that she regularly self-administers white vinegar enemas, there would be thousands of women across America who'd stock up on enemas and bottles of white vinegar. You know it's true, too!

Update:

My esteemed ami Mr. Jimmy sends us his thoughts 'bout Oprah and her minions:

There is too much cognitive disconnect in this story and what it implies for me to think about. Oprah is worried about the direction the country is going so she endorses Obama and people line up and chant "we love Oprah" and then go sign up as volunteers for Obama, and I'm more concerned about the mindset of anyone whose behavior can be so easily manipulated, minds that can be beguiled to this extent and still not be able to give any reason why they believe Obama is presidential material except that "I understand the difference between the Book Club and a free refrigerator," she said. "I understand the difference between that and this critical moment in our nation's history. . . .[Obama] has an "ear for eloquence and a tongue dipped in the unvarnished truth."

The article continues,"Terri Johnson of Urbandale, Iowa, lined up about two hours before the Des Moines event with three of her five children along. She said she had not been involved much in politics before, but was drawn to the rally by both Oprah and Obama.

'I would have voted for him without her, but it's nice to see Oprah,' Johnson said, joking that she hoped Winfrey would have one of her famous giveaways. 'I'd love to get a car.'"

If this wasn't so scary it would make a great SNL skit!

Somethin's missin'!
Something's got to be brung out!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?