Friday, March 28, 2008

 

"****in' kids!"

Did you ever see the movie Clerks? If not, it's about a couple of slackers who work in a convenience store. There's a scene in which a guy comes into the store looking for some lost keys. He asks if anyone's turned in a set of keys, and this is the response he gets: "No time for love, Dr. Jones." Key-seekin' guy walks away shaking his head. "Fuckin' kids!" he says as he walks out the door.

Whenever I read stuff like this, from Captain Capitalism, I think about that "Fuckin' kids!" quote:

"I'm sitting at the coffee shop working on the housing crisis book. I go to the coffee shop because I get sick of being couped up in my house and need a change of scenery. I also go to the coffee shop because the people here are more or less middle aged and quiet. And while the occasional mom will come in with her toddler ... I am left in relative peace.

"Until now, for a group of as far as I can tell, high school girls have entered the coffee shop and are now talking as if they're all from Fresno Valley in California, when in fact we're in Minnesota.

"And thus the writing comes to a screeching halt and I hear nonsensical blather about Jimmy, and Bobby, and Steve and is she going out with him, LIKE OMG, you're kidding!

"And every sentence is spoken with the tone of a question. ...

"Regardless, now I sit here and listen to these kids and wonder how at the age of 16 or 17 I could have ever thought I was the one with the problem. These kids are insane today. ...

"What scares me though is if when I'm 45 I'm going to look back at 33 year old women and then say, "what the heck was I thinking? They have a MySpace page? And they watch American Idol? And Lost?" ...

"In any case my point to all you younger, yet more mature for your age, junior deputy, aspiring or otherwise economists out there, realize that in being an economist (official or otherwise) you are a bit wiser than your contemporaries and that chances are any problems you have arising from courting people your own age are not due to you, but the likelihood everybody else is insane."





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?