Tuesday, July 22, 2008

 

Pro-choice for me, but not for thee

Ask a dyed-in-the-wool liberal if he or she is pro-choice and you'll get a hearty "Hell yeah!" But how far across the public policy spectrum does that pro-choice, ahem, conviction extend. Not very far, I assure you.

Liberals like to prattle, piss and moan about how pregnant women have an inherent "right" to choose to terminate an unwanted pregnancy; however, they don't seem to be so enthusiastically pro-choice when it comes to school choice, health-care choice, and Social Security choice. Furthermore, liberals enthusiastically support restrictions on what people eat, drink, smoke, dip/chew, and drive ... as well as restrictions on light bulb choice, bonfire choice, vocabulary choice, and metaphor choice. I could go on and on and on.

Keeping all that in mind, I guess I shouldn't really be surprised when I read stories like this:

"Jan Perry, a Los Angeles city-council member, is spearheading legislation that would ban new fast-food restaurants like McDonald's and KFC from opening in a 32-square-mile chunk of the city, including her district. ...

"While some cities have bans on new fast-food establishments, they typically are for aesthetic reasons or to protect local businesses. Ms. Perry's initiative seems to be a rare instance in which a major city brings health issues into restaurant zoning. The fast-food ban would last a year, although Ms. Perry hopes to make it permanent. ...

"With the ordinance, Los Angeles is tapping into a tougher attitude toward fast food that is emerging at city halls around the country. Cities have begun banning ingredients, regulating menu information and now dictating whether restaurants are healthy enough to open in their communities. Advocates say the measures are crucial in the fight against obesity, diabetes and other diseases and health conditions. Foes say the rules go too far, violating important freedoms."

I've never heard-tell of anyone being forced to eat

UPDATE: The last two paragraphs of this post were lost when I had my little HTML accident (see above). I don't remember exactly what I said, so I'm just going to leave the post be for the time being. Give me a couple of days and I'll finish my thought ... most likely in a new post.





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?