Monday, August 18, 2008

 

What happened to the Dog Days ...?


In Nashville today, the temperature got up to 91. Ordinarily this wouldn't be news. But today it's news because the last 18 days have been unlike any first-two-weeks-of-August days I can remember in my lifetime.

Nashville's high temperatures of late have hovered in the mid to high-80s. Couple the unseasonable high temps with low humidity - we haven't had a day in days during which there wasn't a stiff breeze blowing - and folks in Music City have been able to enjoy the most, well, enjoyable August in a long, long time.

Not ten days ago, Nashville's overnight low temperature dipped down to 60 degrees (outlying areas had low temps in the 50s). I actually turned my A/C up that night and opened my bedroom windows. I do not recall ever being able to sleep without A/C in the month of August in the city of Nashville -- and mes parents couldn't recall such a night, either.

If this August without Dog Days is a result of "climate change," I say: Gimme more climate change. Al Gore be damned!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?