Friday, March 05, 2010

 

There's trouble down in Texas (for the doyens of mainstream media, that is)

Once upon a time, I was a cub reporter/editor for my university's campus newspaper. Not a week went by during which we didn't get an unsolicited book from an author/publishing outfit with an accompanying letter pretty much begging us to do a book review.

One day I arrived in the newspaper's office to find a large package that obviously contained several books. The first book I pulled from said package was a two-inch thick tome which featured a hypodermic needle and the Union Jack on its cover. I don't know it for a fact, but I'm pretty sure I said "What the **** is this?" when I seen it.

Well, what the **** it 'twas was this: a book penned by an acolyte of Lyndon LaRouche in which the British Crown was blamed for the international drug trade. I was still a bit of a political neophyte at the time; however, I knew enough 'bout the ways of the world to be fully aware of the fact that "Lyndon LaRouche" equaled "nutbucket."

Fast forward a couple o' years - okay, a couple o' couple o' years - and word comes that a member of Lyndon LaRouche's personality cult has won a Democratic primary for a congressional seat in Texas. To wit:

Lyndon LaRouche's followers are celebrating the victory of a candidate they say is one of their own in the race to challenge the relatively safe -- at this point, I'd say extremely safe -- Republican Rep. Pete Olson.

Kesha Rogers appears to have run on a combination of populist themes -- opposition to the bail out, to health care reform, and to Wall Street -- and standard LaRouche lines, like impeaching the president and blaming the British for more or less everything.


As far as I can tell, not a single mainstream media outlet has expressed hiccupping horror over the fact that a first-class nut is now a major party nominee for a seat in Congress. Reckon what would happen if, say, a confirmed member of the John Birch Society won the GOP nod for anything?

We know the answer to that, don't we ...?!





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?